Top 12 Tips for a Healthy, Happy Weight!
- When was the last time you looked in the mirror & said, “Wow! What a MIRACLE”? Your body is a complex, miraculous creation & it was gifted to you! It is the ONLY vehicle you will be given to fulfill your unique purpose & destiny & it is your responsibility to care for it. Unfortunately, you were not given an owner’s manual. The following tips offer guidance on how you can release excess baggage, tune up your engine & enjoy your incredible vehicle for many years to come.
2. Be Active Daily. Elevate your heart rate for at least 30 minutes/day, 5 times/week. Doing short increments of exercise throughout the day creates the same benefits of exercising for longer periods of time. Consider taking 3 – 10 minute walks or movement breaks, if taking 30 minutes is too much. Get an activity monitor & challenge yourself or a friend to take more steps every day. Consult with a fitness professional for guidance regarding heart rate target zones.
3. Eat a rainbow! Fill up on fruits & vegetables for fiber, phytonutrients, antioxidants & cellular nutrition. When your body is nourished, not just fed empty calories, you will have less cravings & your body will be better able to function for optimal health, energy & fat loss. Get advice or testing to see which nutritional supplements your body needs to avoid deficiencies, which can lead to chronic health & weight issues.
4. Eat 4-5 mini-meals! Consuming small, frequent meals helps to optimize metabolism, provide sustained energy, maintain blood sugar balance & healthy weight. Consume less overall calories than your body requires for maintenance or weight gain. Include protein & healthy fat in most meals, along with low-glycemic, high-fiber carbohydrates, preferably vegetables.
5. Dump the junk & detox! Clean out the sludge that slows down your metabolism & affects every system in your body. Include raw, vegan, non-GMO super-foods & detoxifying foods in your diet, such as apples, cruciferous vegetables, green tea, watercress, dandelion greens, cilantro, artichokes, garlic, citrus peels & pomegranate. Avoid exposure to chemicals by using natural skin care & cleaning products. Do detox foot baths & far-infrared saunas for a relaxing detox experience.
6. Savor the flavor! If you love to eat, then slow down & enjoy the experience. Sit down, take small bites of small portions on small plates & chew your food thoroughly. Avoid eating while standing, working, watching TV or any other activity that diverts your attention from mindful eating. It takes approximately 20 minutes for your brain to register that your stomach is full. Allow your meal to be a pleasurable, relaxing experience, not a stressful event that increases fat storage.
7. Drink pure water! Start the day by drinking 1-2 glasses of clean water to get a healthy start to your day by hydrating, cleansing toxins & flushing your systems for optimal function. Also, drink green tea, which has added benefits of antioxidants, energy & metabolic stimulation. Bottled FIJI, Penta or reverse-osmosis filtered water are the best choices for pure water.
8. Breathe deeply from your diaphragm for relaxation, stress reduction & cellular oxygenation. Managing stress helps to stabilize cortisol levels & avoid excess fat storage. Since we need oxygen to burn fat, fill your lungs with plenty of clean air! Indoor air quality can be more toxic than outdoor air, so consider investing in an air purifier.
9. Strength train with intensity! Lean muscle burns calories, protects your body & looks great! 1 pound of added muscle burns an extra 50 calories/day. Train all major muscle groups with proper form 2-3 times per week. Vary exercises. Do 1-3 sets/exercise & 8-20 repetitions/set. Implement a program that is progressive & dynamic, not routine. Increasing intensity will help you to maximize your time, increase lean muscle & rev up your metabolism.
10. Do your math! Determine your Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR) & calculate your caloric expenditure to discover how many calories your body requires to maintain its current weight. For 1-2 weeks, weigh & measure your food to get a realistic view of proper portion sizes. Journal everything you eat & drink, then figure out how many calories you are consuming, using an online calorie counter, like MyFitnesspal.com. In order to release body fat, you must create a caloric deficit. 1 pound of fat loss requires a deficit of 3500 calories.
11. Create a written action plan! Determine SMART goals that are specific, measurable, attainable, realistic & time-sensitive. Begin with 1-3 short-term goals. Once they are mastered, keep building on your progress with more small goals, keeping your overall vision in sight. Goals MUST be connected to your highest values, or what I call the “Heart of Your WHY”. Create a plan on how to overcome your obstacles. Since people are more averse to pain than they are to gaining pleasure, consider how you will feel if you do not accomplish your goal. How will it negatively affect the quality of your life, relationships & the things that mean the most to you? The KEY is to link massive PAIN to NOT accomplishing your goal! Be specific, visual & emotional. Close your eyes & visualize the pain of not succeeding! Consider hiring a Personal Trainer or Wellness Coach for guidance, accountability & motivation.
12. See yourself as perfectly & wonderfully made with unique gifts to live a life of service & significance! Acknowledge past disappointments, poor choices & situations that impeded your ability to live an abundant life. Forgive & extend compassion toward yourself & others who may have kept you from knowing how incredible you truly are. If you have toxic people in your life, consider cleansing that area, too. Dysfunctional relationships can steal your time, energy, health & vitality. Move forward with a new beginning & LIVE Empowered!
Believe in your ability to succeed & surround yourself with others who also believe in you! “ People are afraid to pursue their most important dreams because they feel that they don’t deserve them, or that they’ll be unable to achieve them. For many different reasons, many people’s dreams remain just that — merely dreams — for their entire lives. Why is it that we don’t pursue them? Do we not all deserve to live out our dreams? Do we doubt ourselves & our capabilities, or do we doubt our own senses of self-worth? We only have one life & one chance at living exactly how we want.We need to believe in ourselves & in our dreams. We need to believe that anything is possible & that we can make it happen. If you’re going to believe anything in this lifetime, Believe in Yourself! From “The Alchemist”